Constituency Caseworker - 12 month fixed-term contract to cover maternity leave (full-time, 37.5 hours per week)
Salary - £19,641 - £25,000 dependent on experience
You will be working as part of a close-knit team to help ensure the smooth running of Hilary Benn’s constituency office in Leeds. You will help to manage the large volume of constituency cases and ensure constituents are given a first-rate service on a variety of personal and local issues.
This is a 12 month contract to cover maternity leave and is subject to satisfactory completion of a six month probationary period.
- Deal with enquiries from the public by phone, letter, email and in person, taking appropriate action to resolve, document or escalate concerns/enquiries.
- Provide advice and support to constituents on a variety of complex casework issues including welfare benefits, immigration, health, housing etc., working with government departments, external agencies and voluntary sector organisations to resolve matters.
- Respond to all enquiries in a timely and professional manner.
- Attending surgeries as required and supporting community engagement activities (some weekend and evening work will be required).
- Ensure cases are dealt with in a confidential and sensitive manner and ensure records of contact are kept in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
- Other duties will involve drafting letters, maintaining the electronic filing systems and undertaking other duties within the constituency office as required.
- Management of Hilary’s website.
- Excellent communication skills and a pleasant telephone manner with the confidence to deal effectively with constituents, outside bodies and others.
- Understanding of immigration and asylum systems.
- Strong organisational and administrative skills with an emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail.
- The ability to empathise with constituents and communicate effectively, both in writing and verbally, to identify constituents’ issues, investigate them and respond appropriately.
- Excellent ICT skills required including the use of Microsoft Office suite, the ability to manage the website, electronic casework system and deal with bulk emails.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team and be able to manage a large caseload.
- Sympathetic to the ideals of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO).
Closing date 8th May 2018.
Interviews on 1st June 2018.
Start date to be agreed - around end of June beginning of July.
A covering letter outlining the reasons why you believe you are suitable for the position along with a CV of no more than two sides of A4 should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘First Name, Surname, Constituency Caseworker Vacancy’.
Please also enclose the contact details (including telephone number) of two people (including your current or most recent employer) who can provide a reference. References will not be taken up until after the interview date.