2017 General Election
The outcome of this election really matters to our community.
The NHS is in crisis, funding for Leeds schools is being cut and there are thousands of people on the local housing waiting list and the Tories simply don't understand the pressures facing many families.
It has been a privilege to be your MP over the past 18 years and, as you know, I have always worked hard to help everyone and to be your voice in Parliament. We have campaigned together to save the Children's Heart Surgery Unit, improve broadband services, oppose the unfair bedroom tax and win funding for stronger flood defences in the city centre.
These are my pledges to you in this campaign.
- I will continue to hold regular advice surgeries locally and be here to help you when you need me.
- I will campaign to ensure that the LGI and Jimmy's, local GPs and other health staff get the funding they need to give us the best possible care. We also need to work together to tackle the social care crisis which is letting many elderly people down.
- I will stand up for neighbourhood policing which is so important to us, from Woodhouse to Burmantofts and from Beeston and Holbeck to Middleton.
- I will fight against the Tory cuts to local school budgets - our children only get the one chance - and their plan to bring back the 11-plus, and campaign for much-needed new school places.
- I will support more social housing and new rights for private renters to give greater security and fairness.
- I am committed to protecting the environment, improving air quality and tackling climate change - as my record as a minister in the last Labour Government shows.
- I respect the outcome of the EU referendum - we are leaving the EU - but the Tories are taking a big risk with our economy by their approach to Brexit. We need to ensure that Leeds businesses can continue to trade without tariffs and barriers and that our important services industries have full access to European markets.
- I will always stand up for the defence of our country and work with others internationally to build a fairer world.
- I will never be afraid to speak up for what I think is right
These are tough times, but that's when the values we have as a society matter most. The decisions the Tory government has taken show they care only about the few. Labour always has been, and always will be, on the side of the many. That's the choice.
I do hope you will feel able to put your trust and confidence in me once again.
With best wishes
Labour Candidate for Leeds Central